Special dietary requirements
Special dietary requirements
Qatar Airways offers a wide selection of special meals to cater to different dietary requirements. If you need a special meal on your flight, please let us know at the time of booking, or contact your local Qatar Airways office at least 24 hours before your departure to request your preferred meal.
All meals provided by Qatar Airways are halal.
- Baby Meal (BBML) - Pre-packaged baby food for infants up to two years. This is a standard meal provided for infants onboard and does not need to be requested at booking.
- Children's Meal (CHML) - This may be a non-vegetarian meal that is suitable for young travellers. It may contain: Pancakes, pasta, breaded chicken / fish fillets, chips, sweets, fruit, etc.
- Vegetarian Meal - Vegan (VGML) - This is a strictly vegetarian meal that is completely free of animal products, including honey, eggs, and dairy products. It may contain: Vegetables, grains, and fruit. Does not contain: Meat, poultry, fish, cheese, honey, eggs, milk and dairy products.
- Fruit Platter (FPML) - This meal only contains dry fruits and seasonal fresh fruit. Does not contain: Vegetables, meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, caffeinated beverages, highly-processed foods, additives and preservatives.
- Raw Vegetarian Meal (RVML) - This meal is for customers who prefer only raw vegetables with a variety of fresh fruit. It contains: Raw vegetables and fresh fruit. Does not contain: Meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, caffeinated beverages, highly-processed foods, additives and preservatives.
- Vegetarian Lacto-OVO Meal (VLML) - This is a vegetarian meal that includes eggs and dairy products. It may contain: Vegetables, fruit, cheese, eggs, dairy products, and soy products. Does not contain: Meat, poultry, fish, and seafood.
- Vegetarian Oriental Meal (VOML) - This is an oriental style vegetarian meal. It may contain: Vegetables, grains, and fruit. Does not contain: Meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, milk and dairy products.
- Asian Vegetarian Meal / Veg Hindu Meal (AVML) - This is a vegetarian meal flavoured with spices from the Indian sub-continent. It may contain: Vegetables, fruit, dairy products, spices and aromas associated with the Indian sub-continent. The meal could be mildly spiced. Does not contain: Meat, poultry, fish, seafood, and eggs.
- Non-Vegetarian Hindu Meal (HNML) - This meal is prepared according to the requirements of the Hindu religion. This meal is non-vegetarian and prepared in an Indian style and mildly spiced . It may contain: Lamb, chicken, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products. Does not contain: Beef, veal, beef sauces, and beef extracts.
- Vegetarian Jain Meal (VJML) - This is an Indian vegetarian meal prepared in accordance to Jain principles.It may contain: Vegetables grown above ground and fruit.Does not contain: Meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy products, root and bulbous vegetables such as onion, garlic, potatoes, ginger, etc.
- Kosher Meal (KSML) - Prepared according to Jewish dietary law and purchased pre-packed from reputable manufacturers. Passover meals cannot be provided.
- Diabetic Meal (DBML) - This is a diabetic meal that contains minimal sugar content with an equal balance of proteins, fats, fibre, and complex carbohydrates.It may contain: Lean meats, boiled potatoes, low fat milk, plain yogurt, vegetables, fresh fruit, whole grain rice, breads, pasta, cereal and steamed or poached prepared foods as a cooking style. Does not contain: Fried or fatty foods, sugar, syrups, jam, and sweets.
- Gluten-Free Meal (GFML) - This meal is for customers on a gluten-free diet. It may contain: Lean meats, fish, rice, dairy products, fresh vegetables and fruit. Does not contain: Wheat and wheat flour, barley, oat and rye-based sauces, soups, breads, crackers, cakes, pastas, sweets, soups, sausages, starch and gravy.
- Bland Meal (BLML) - This meal is for customers who prefer light and easily digestible foods that are low in fat and help prevent gastric discomfort. It may contain: Low-fat food items such as boiled meats, soft vegetables, mashed potatoes, milk, dairy products and steamed or poached prepared foods as a cooking style. Does not contain: Fried or fatty foods, nuts, garlic, onions, strong scented spice, pickles and mustard.
- Low-Salt / Sodium Meal (LSML) - This meal is for customers who are on a low-sodium diet where no salt is added during preparation. It may contain: Any fresh or frozen food which is low in salt. Meal can be flavoured with herbs and spices. Does not contain: Free of additional salt, MSG, baking powder, shellfish, salt-cured meats or fish, gravies, canned vegetables, fish, pickles, and salty cheese.
- Non-Lactose Meal (NLML) - This meal is for customers who are lactose-intolerant and cannot consume dairy products. It may contain: Meat, fish, pasta, rice, potatoes, vegetables, and fruit. Does not contain: Milk, yoghurt, cheese, croissants, soft rolls, ice cream, sherbet, pudding, and all other dairy products.
- Low-Calorie Meal (LCML) - This meal is for customers on a low-calorie diet. It may contain: Lean meats, low-fat dairy, complex carbohydrates and steamed or poached prepared foods as a cooking style. Does not contain: Fried or fatty foods, sugar, full cream dairy products, fatty meats, sweets, sauces such as mayonnaise, and salad dressing.
- Low Cholesterol / Fat Meal (LFML) - This meal is for customers on a low fat diet with limited amounts of saturated fat. It may contain: Lean meats, poultry, fish, low-fat dairy products, egg whites, wholegrain bread, fresh fruit and steamed or poached prepared foods as a cooking style. Does not contain: Fried or fatty foods, animal fats, egg yolks, full cream dairy products, shellfish, fatty meats, and nuts.
- With the exception of vegetarian meals, no special meals are provided for flights to Gulf countries such as Oman, Kuwait, due to the short flight time.
- We do not offer any variations or combinations on the special meals listed above. Additionally, we do not provide personal preference or requests for specific foods or ingredients (for example: only-pasta dish, seafood meals, steaks, etc.).
- Special meals for flights operated by codeshare partners cannot be guaranteed by Qatar Airways. Please confirm your request on such flights with the operating airline at the time of booking.
Qatar Airways cannot guarantee an environment free from allergens (e.g. eliminating tree-nuts, peanuts, eggs, milk and other items that might cause an allergic reaction). Hence Qatar Airways regretfully does not accept responsibility for allergic reactions of any extent to the passengers. Passengers suffering from severe food allergies may consider a few precautions if they are concerned that they might be at risk of allergen exposure, such as:
- Bringing their own meals.
- Informing the airline or on-board crew of specific allergies.
- Carrying prescribed anaphylaxis or other treatment and ensuring it is ready-for-administration by yourself or any of your travel companions (for example: ready-for-use epi-pens).
Allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, etc.:
Qatar Airways does not provide nut-free meals. We regret the inconvenience, we do not guarantee against cross-contamination of nuts within our in-flight network. Passengers are requested to bring their own meals, which do not require chilling or re-heating. Please inform the cabin crew of your sensitivity or any allergen information and they will assist with any available meal options on board.
Other passengers may carry nuts or products with traces of nuts, nut oils and nut products. This could pass on to aircraft surfaces such as seats, arm rests, aisles and also in the atmosphere. For your own safety, please use sanitizer wipes, face masks and appropriate medications. Inform the co-passenger about the allergy, request for window or seats at the back and avoid contact to the allergens.
Qatar Airways Allergy Policy 049 revised on 11 April 2018 states below:
- Customers who are severely allergic to certain food items are given the option of bringing their own meals on board. However, certain limitations regarding heating, storage of meals in refrigerator, or others apply.
- No announcement is to be made for the passenger with an allergy either at the boarding gate or on board.
- Customers will be advised to carry the necessary medications, such as an epi-pen on board the aircraft.
- Qatar Airways will serve nuts or normal meals even if there is a passenger with an allergy on the flight.
1.1 Requests for special allergen-free meals and other requirements are received by our reservations team and further assessed by the relevant departments including Qatar Airways Medical Centre and Catering and other departments. It is to be determined whether it is:
(a) Safe to accept the customer on the flight; and
(b) Possible to arrange appropriate catering and maintain the cabin environment.
1.2 Customers with a history of severe/hyper allergy must provide their details on Medical Information (MEDIF) form to Qatar Airways at the time of reservation or at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled departure time.
1.3 Any customer with food allergies or with medical condition restricting their diet requirements can bring their own meals on-board the aircraft to meet their dietary requirements. However the following guidelines are relevant:
(a) Qatar Airways will not heat such meals because of limited aircraft facilities.
(b) Qatar Airways will also not allow such meals to be refrigerated as there is a possibility of the allergen-free meal to get contaminated with the allergen present within other food placed in the refrigerator.
(c) Meals brought on board should be free from strong odours/smells to avoid inconvenience to other customers on board the flight.
Note: Quarantine regulations in some countries require that any food brought on board by customers must be consumed on the flight or left on board the aircraft.
1.4 MEDIF is not required for customers with mild allergies.
1.5 Except for flights to and from U.S, customers will be required to sign a waiver of liability on an Indemnity and Waiver of Liability form in all types of allergies i.e. for both severe/hyper as well as mild allergies.
1.6 Once the specific dietary requirements are confirmed for food-related allergies, the required meal is served in accordance with the request. However, it cannot be guaranteed that the meal will be 100% allergen-free.
1.7 Customers who do not disclose their severe allergy problem at the time of reservation and declare it either at check-in or on-board the flight may be denied boarding due to safety considerations. Such passengers travel at their own risk and Qatar Airways has ‘No Obligation’ towards them. Indemnity form will be requested to be signed by such passengers.
Indemnity Form can be downloaded here, and should be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. The form can be sent any time after the reservation has been made, but must be sent at least 48 hours prior to the departure time.