A holistic approach to environmental sustainability
Qatar Airways remains absolutely committed to protecting the environment as much as we are committed to our passengers.
From having one of the most efficient fleets to offering you the possibility of offsetting carbon emissions from your flight, our ambition is to demonstrate environmental leadership across our operations and establish a path for a better future.
Join us to leave a smaller footprint in the sky, as we work towards making flying sustainable.
Qatar Airways is committed to addressing what is considered a global environmental challenge.
As climate change is a global issue, we align with global industry goals and objectives to address this, and have transposed the International Air Transport Association Four-Pillar Strategy into our strategy to address climate change emissions:
Qatar Airways minimizes waste and identifies opportunities to reuse or recover materials for other purposes applying the principles of a circular economy across our businesses.
Our efforts span across all stages of our operations and include reducing single-use plastic, reducing food waste, recycling materials, water conservation, and much more.
Qatar Airways continuously meet and exceed industry best practice for noise and air quality,
Qatar Airways is the first carrier in the Middle East certified to the highest level of IATA's Environmental Assessment programme (IEnvA).
The certification covers the entire environmental management system, including passenger and cargo airline operations, flight operations, catering and cabin services, aircraft maintenance and repair, cargo ground services, Qatar Aviation Services (QAS), our catering operations at QACC (Qatar Aircraft Catering Company), Hub Lounges, Al Maha services, Oryx International School, and all corporate functions.
Continual improvement in our environmental performance is delivered by embedding our policy across all business operations while training all employees to drive our environmental ambition.
We are spearheading industry actions to prevent illegal wildlife trafficking, in partnership with United for Wildlife (UfW).
As part of our efforts, we are:
- Proud to be the Official Airline Partner of UfW
- A leader in the field and the first airline to be certified to IEnvA IWT Standard
- Taking on a pivotal role in the global fight against the illegal wildlife trade
- Applying a zero-tolerance policy regarding illegal wildlife transportation
- Offering ‘WeQare:Rewild the Planet’, a sustainability initiative by Qatar Airways Cargo that provides free transportation services to organisations involved in returning wild animals back to their natural habitats
- Enabling the United for Wildlife team to travel around the world to spread awareness on the effects of illegal wildlife trade, starting with UfW Global Summit in Singapore
Help the environment when you travel
Help the environment and support sustainable travel practices and solutions with the help of the following programs and tips.
You can choose to offset your flight-related emissions when you book with Qatar Airways, via the drop-down menu under ‘Donate and offset emissions’ in the booking flow.
You can manage this option through your profile on our website or mobile app.
Carbon offset contributions are invested in high quality projects in accordance with rigorous and independent certification to international standards which ensure that CO2 emissions are removed, avoided or reduced.
Qatar Airways in partnership with IATA, has selected a portfolio of projects that helps offset carbon emissions from your travel, whilst supporting the local communities.
Your contribution to the QR voluntary carbon offsetting programme will be redirected to support investment in clean and renewable energy projects.
All our corporate travellers can also choose to voluntarily reduce and offset their flight-related emissions via our website for all past and future travel in bulk.
To learn more, click hereBrowse FAQs
- Fly with airlines that use modern and fuel-efficient aircraft fleet. We are operating one of the youngest fuel-efficient aircraft fleet, generating around 25% less emissions than previous generation aircraft.
- Combine different forms of transit between destinations.
Qatar Airways have codeshare partnership with the French and German train networks, Deustche Bahn and SNCF, that enable you to reach major European cities easily through plane to train connection.
- Let us know about your special diet in advance to make sure we have just the right meal for you and reduce waste and unnecessary extra weight on the aircraft.
- Pack light. Did you know that if you reduce the weight of your baggage by 5 kg, it reduces your carbon footprint by about 5%?
- Bring your own bottle to avoid purchasing disposable plastic bottles in the airport or during the flight.
- Consider using the same water, juice or coffee cup to refill as it helps reduce waste onboard.
- Favour public transport to connect to the airport.
- Using your own headphones instead of disposable ones can help reduce plastic waste.