Travel with that extra luggage at no fee
Simply pay with your Qmiles or Qcredits
Excess baggage awards
Excess baggage awards allow you to redeem your Qmiles or Qcredits* to pay for excess baggage for yourself, your family or friends, on Qatar Airways flights.
The award can be redeemed for a minimum of 1kg and maximum of 10kg, with the exception of flights to/from the Americas, where redemption is charged per piece. To claim the excess baggage award, log in to your membership account and request for excess baggage at least six hours prior to departure.
The Qmiles required for excess baggage will depend on your destination. To learn how many Qmiles will be required, please use our Qcalculator.
As an added feature, if you are a Privilege Club member travelling to/from the Americas, you can top up your free checked baggage allowance with an additional 9kg (one-way) using your Qmiles or Qcredits*. Top-up allowance is charged based on a flat rate of 9kg. For example, if your top-up allowance is less than 9kg, you will be charged for 9kg.
Any subsequent excess baggage, above the free checked luggage and utilised top-up allowance, will be charged as per Qatar Airways excess baggage rates.
*Qcredits are a reward benefit awarded to Gold and Platinum members, which can be redeemed against a selection of services. Read more about Qcredits.
We have introduced new changes to redeeming excess baggage awards.
● Excess baggage awards are applicable only on confirmed and ticketed sectors marketed and operated by Qatar Airways.
● Revenue or award tickets must be issued before excess baggage requests are submitted.
● Excess baggage awards can only be used on Qatar Airways flights and not code-shared or partner airlines.
● Privilege Club members can redeem excess baggage awards for family and friends, provided they are
● Excess baggage is applicable on tickets issued by Qatar Airways only (ticket numbers starting with 157).
● A printed Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD) should be presented upon check-in and its acceptance is subject to payload availability, as per ground services procedure.
● Once issued, excess baggage awards are non-refundable.
● Excess baggage award can be redeemed for a minimum of 1kg and maximum of 10kg, with the exception of flights to/from the Americas, where redemption is charged per piece.
● Qmiles/Qcredits required for excess baggage awards may vary when redeeming online or at our Member Service Centre or Qatar Airways offices.
● Change of date or flight number for the same route is permitted free of cost only once. Rerouting and/or any other changes are not allowed.
● In case of changes in the itinerary, the Privilege Club member must inform Qatar Airways to update the excess baggage with new travel dates. Failure to update may lead to denial of excess baggage benefit at the time of check-in.
● Redeemed excess baggage awards are valid for one year, to cover possible date changes.
● Excess baggage awards are in accordance with the restrictions of purchased revenue/redemption tickets. If excess baggage award is associated with a forfeited sector, it will also be forfeited.
● Excess baggage awards are for single use only. If the baggage allowance within an award is not completely
● Excess baggage awards may not be guaranteed, due to technical limitations such as flight loads. If an excess baggage award cannot be
● Excess baggage using Qmiles/Qcredits will be offered only if the complete itinerary is marketed and operated by Qatar Airways. For itineraries with a mix of Qatar Airways and other airlines, excess baggage will not be permitted.