Use your Avios for extra baggage
Use your Avios for extra baggage
Use your Avios* to pay for extra baggage for yourself, your family or friends, on Qatar Airways flights.
The award can be redeemed for a minimum of 1kg and maximum of 10kg, with the exception of routes where redemption is charged per piece.
The Avios required for extra baggage will depend on your destination. To learn how many Avios will be required, please use My Calculator.
For routes where baggage is charged per piece, you can top up your checked baggage allowance with an additional 9kg (one-way) using your Avios*. Top-up allowance is charged based on a flat rate of 9kg. For example, if your top-up allowance is less than 9kg, you will be charged for 9kg.
Any additional baggage, above the checked luggage and utilised top-up allowance, will be charged as per Qatar Airways excess baggage rates.
To use your Avios for extra baggage allowance, log in to your Privilege Club account to make the request at least six hours prior to departure.
Manage my booking
- Excess baggage awards are applicable only on confirmed and ticketed sectors marketed and operated by Qatar Airways.
- Revenue or award tickets must be issued before excess baggage requests are submitted.
- Excess baggage awards can only be used on Qatar Airways flights and not code-shared or partner airlines.
- Privilege Club members can redeem excess baggage awards for family and friends, provided they are travelling on Qatar Airways.
- Excess baggage is applicable on tickets issued by Qatar Airways only (ticket numbers starting with 157).
- A printed Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD) should be presented upon check-in and its acceptance is subject to payload availability, as per ground services procedure.
- Once issued, excess baggage awards are non-refundable.
- Excess baggage award can be redeemed for a minimum of 1kg and maximum of 10kg, with the exception of flights to/from the Americas, where redemption is charged per piece.
- Avios required for excess baggage awards may vary when redeeming online or at our Member Service Centre or Qatar Airways offices.
- Top-up feature is applicable for members traveling only to/from the Americas. Top-up allowance is charged based on a flat rate of 9kg. For example, if the top-up allowance is less than 9kg, the member will be charged for 9kg.
- Change of date or flight number for the same route is permitted free of cost only once. Rerouting and/or any other changes are not allowed.
- In case of changes in the itinerary, the Privilege Club member must inform Qatar Airways to update the excess baggage with new travel dates. Failure to update may lead to denial of excess baggage benefit at the time of check-in.
- Redeemed excess baggage awards are valid for one year, to cover possible date changes.
- Excess baggage awards are in accordance with the restrictions of purchased revenue/redemption tickets. If excess baggage award is associated with a forfeited sector, it will also be forfeited.
- Excess baggage awards are for single use only. If the baggage allowance within an award is not completely utilised, the remainder allowance cannot be refunded or reused.
- Excess baggage awards may not be guaranteed, due to technical limitations such as flight loads. If an excess baggage award cannot be utilised due to reasons classified as “technical”, then the Avios will be credited back to the Privilege Club member’s account.
- Excess baggage using Avios will be offered only if the complete itinerary is marketed and operated by Qatar Airways. For itineraries with a mix of Qatar Airways and other airlines, excess baggage will not be permitted.