SELECT YOUR LOCAL SITE
Dubai, UAE - Rolls-Royce has won a $300m order from Qatar Airways for Trent 700 engines, with long-term TotalCare® support, to power five Airbus A330 freighter aircraft. The order for five Airbus A330 Freighters and eight options was announced by the airline on the first day of the Dubai Air Show.
Qatar Airways Chief Executive Officer, Akbar Al Baker, said: “We are pleased to select the Trent 700 engine, which has provided excellent performance on our existing Airbus A330 Freighter, along with a support package that maximises aircraft reliability and efficiency.”
Eric Schulz, Rolls-Royce, President – Civil Large Engines, said: “We look forward to further developing our relationship with a valued customer and welcome Qatar Airways’ continued confidence in our Trent technology and TotalCare service and support.”
The Trent 700, the only engine specifically designed for the A330, is the market leader on the aircraft with a 70 per cent of new orders over the last four years.
It is also the most popular Rolls-Royce engine type currently in service on wide-body aircraft, powering more than 530 A330 aircraft with 58 operators. More than 1,400 engines are either in service or on order.
On Day Two of the Dubai Air Show, Qatar Airways Chief Executive Officer, Akbar Al Baker (left) and Rolls Royce President - Aerospace, Tony Wood signing an agreement for Trent 700 engines to power five Airbus A330 freighter aircraft
Notes to Editors:
1. Rolls-Royce is a world-leading provider of power systems and services for use on land, at sea and in the air, and has established a strong position in global markets – civil aerospace, defence aerospace, marine and energy.
2. As a result of this strategy, Rolls-Royce has a broad customer base comprising more than 300 airlines, 4,000 corporate and utility aircraft and helicopter operators, 160 armed forces, more than 4,000 marine customers, including 70 navies, and energy customers in more than 80 countries.
3. Annual underlying revenue was £12.2 billion in 2012, of which more than half came from the provision of services. The firm and announced order book stood at £69.2 billion at 30 June 2013, providing visibility of future levels of activity.
4. Rolls-Royce employs over 45,000 people in offices, manufacturing and service facilities in over 50 countries. Over 14,000 of these employees are engineers.
5. In 2012, Rolls-Royce invested £919 million on research and development, two thirds of which had the objective of further improving the environmental performance of its products, in particular reducing emissions.
6. Rolls-Royce supports a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which connect the company’s engineers with the forefront of scientific research.
7. The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills.
About Qatar Airways:
On October 30, 2013, Qatar Airways joined the oneworld Alliance, becoming the only major Gulf carrier to join a global airline alliance, enabling its customers to benefit from almost a thousand airports in more than 150 countries, with 14,000 daily departures.
Qatar Airways was presented with three honours at the annual Skytrax 2013 World Airline Awards held during the Paris Air Show at Le Bourget, France in June. The airline was awarded World’s Best Business Class, World’s Best Business Class Lounge and, for the second consecutive year, Best Airline Staff Service in the Middle East.
The airline has also been named Best Airline in the Middle East for the seventh year in a row, and its Premium Terminal at Doha International Airport named Best Premium Service Airport for the third consecutive year in 2013. Qatar Airways has also twice been the recipient of the prestigious Skytrax Airline of the Year Award in 2011 and 2012. Skytrax is the only global independent passenger survey monitoring airline standards and is considered the ultimate benchmark for excellence in the airline industry.
Qatar Airways currently has orders worth over US$50 billion for more than 250 aircraft, including Boeing 787s, 777s, Airbus A350s, A380s and A320 family of aircraft. For more information, visit www.qatarairways.com.
For further information contact:
Qatar Airways Group, Corporate Communications Department
Tel: +974 44302072, Fax: +974 44302069