Child travel policy required by South African Government for travelling to and from South Africa

Effective 1 June 2015, children travelling in and out of South Africa, will be required to carry an unabridged birth certificate*, as well as a valid passport. The regulations will apply to all travellers under the age of 18 regardless of nationality. 

*An unabridged birth certificate is an official, signed and stamped certificate with full details of both parents. If the unabridged birth certificate is in a language other than English it must be accompanied by a certified English translation.


Child travelling with both parents

Parents must have an unabridged birth certificate and a valid passport.


Child travelling with one parent

The Parent must have an unabridged birth certificate, a valid passport, and a court order granting full parental responsibilities/legal guardianship of the child, or an affidavit confirming permission from the absent parent for the child to travel. In cases where the other parent registered on the child's birth certificate is deceased, a death certificate is required.



Child travelling with guardian only

The Guardian must have an unabridged birth certificate, a valid passport, and a court order or affidavit from parents or legal guardians of the child confirming permission to travel. Copies of the parents' or legal guardians' passports or identification documents are required. Death certificates are also required where applicable.


Child unaccompanied

The Child must have unabridged birth certificate , a valid passport, and an affidavit from one or both parents or legal guardians, depending on the case, confirming permission to travel. A letter from the person who will receive the child in South Africa, including full contact details and a certified copy of their passport or identification documents, is also required. Contact details of the child's parents or legal guardians are also required.

We urge you to prepare all the required documentation before travel to avoid possible delays to your travel plans. For more information, please visit the South African Department of Affairs' website, or contact your nearest South African Embassy or Consulate.